Vindolanda and the dating of roman footwear
Vindolanda and the dating of roman footwear - whole lot of fish dating
Most are not connected to the existing drainage system.
That fort was repaired in about 100 AD under the command of the Roman prefect Flavius Cerialis.Some of these circular huts are visible by the north and the southwest walls of the final stone fort.The Roman army may have built these to accommodate families of British farmers in this unsettled period.Occasional travellers reached the site over the next two hundred years, and the accounts they left predate much of the stone-stealing that has damaged the site.The military bath-house was still partly roofed when Christopher Hunter visited the site in 1702.There are five timber forts, built (and demolished) one after the other.
The first, a small fort, was probably built by the 1st Cohort of Tungrians about 85 AD.
Archaeological excavations of the site show it was under Roman occupation from roughly 85 AD to 370 AD.
Located near the modern village of Bardon Mill in Northumberland, it guarded the Stanegate, the Roman road from the River Tyne to the Solway Firth.
A stone altar found in 1914 (and exhibited in the museum) proves that the settlement was officially a vicus, and that it was named Vindolanda.
To the south of the fort is a thermae (a large imperial bath complex), that would have been used by many of the individuals on the site.
When the 9th Cohort of Batavians left in 105 AD, their fort was demolished.